Monday, July 26, 2010

Just Peachy

I ate the most perfect peach today.

While sitting at lunch, I was commiserating over how to answer a friend who had recently messaged me to ask how I was doing.

It's not an easy answer lately, if I tell the truth. Since I am given to telling the truth, in graphic detail, I can't exactly get away with saying "fine" either.

So I sat tabulating the negatives of my life and trying to weigh them away with positives to construct an acceptable answer between bites of salad ("I'm unemployed, but I'm not going hungry!"). Then my thoughts wandered to the other times I've done this in the past. Usually at the end of relationships, when I was trying to figure out why it went awry and how to use it as "a positive learning experience." On the whole, it was a pretty glum meal, despite a nice salad.

Then I took the peach. The first bite literally shocked all other thoughts away. It was rapture. The consistency, the flavor, the juiciness were balanced in a way that I don't think anyone thinks is physically possible anymore. And I had actually paused before eating it. I wasn't sure I wanted to eat it. It could just have easily ended up in a clafouti I am slated to make later today.

But I did eat it. And it showed me the best part of my life right now.
I am learning to enjoy simple pleasures with utmost gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment