Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Very Merry Unbirthday to ME!

Sometimes you plan to do something that is fun in a normal sort of way, then suddenly that one activity blossoms into a whole series of fun, and you have an amazing day. Like today.

*Warning: This post contains punctuation intended for feeling, tone and/or emphasis and not for grammar. I know, I know it's /supposed/ to do that anyway, but hey, look, it's already started...

1. Planned to go see Avatar in 3D.

This involved braving ticket pre-purchase in Hebrew again, because all the shows sell out in a flash and a bang. It also involved a small trek to the coast, because I'm not too excited about 1am movie showings, especially in combination with public transportation. The trip was *lovely*, the theater *amazing*, and we got there with some time to spare! (which is /always/ nice). The last point led to the next point.

2. And then there was dance.

Dance, Dance Revolution that is. Which I haven't done for five plus years. We cleared two stages! The brain remembered! It's still as fun as it was before! It still amuses/confuses everyone who watches!
Ah. The rush.

3. The beat goes on.

Sustained rush. Yes, that aptly describes watching Avatar in 3D. You can expound on the cinematography in however many positive adjectives you like, you can even invent some new terms, and I couldn't agree more. But I found the storyline *hysterical*, and my brother elbowed me for laughing at inappropriate times (I was laughing /quietly/, and anyone who heard me probably just wondered if they missed something in the subtitles). And it wouldn't have been half as funny if it wasn't /trying/ to make serious social commentary. But really, it was all "check it out, you can finally "upload" yourself to your awesome, enlightened existence that you've slaved away to create in WoW , where the REAL world is!" There were many moments when I heard Do You Want to Date My Avatar playing the back of my mind. *And* Get this. The whole /point/ is: Religion trumps Technology. Say What?! Methinks it even stateth that Religion trumps Science! If you don't believe me, review what happens to lead scientist. And the end result of the high-tech, godless "sky people". Yeah. Makes me giggle.

Oh, and the nice snack bar lady gave me a Twix for free even though I was only supposed to pick a Snickers or Mars bar. Score!

4. But wait, it doesn't end there!

I had the *brilliant* idea of calling up my TA peeps, for the prospect of good food, and better company. We connected on Dizengoff and tried our first Sabich. Yet another Israeli fast food "yum" moment that doesn't make you feel gross like you think fast food should. But our real goal was cake. Sabich was just a preliminary.

5. Let them eat cake!

And what cakes. And what tea! There was the chocolate mousse layered with coffee mousse covered in hazelnut chocolate ganache (Ah!). And then there was the white chocolate berry goodness (Oh!). With the bamboo and hibiscus tea (Mmm). And the cacao ginger tea (Yeessss). The most amazing part is you take a taste and your first reaction is "wow, this is AMAZING, initiate tastebud happy dance." But then, you think "wait, I mean, it's good, but it can't be /that/ good, let me take another bite/sip..." and then it happens all over again ad nauseum until plate and cup are utterly void of food substance. Then you think "I just gained 10 kilo, if I gained a gram." "...but it is /so/ worth it." Yep. Intoxicating.

6. Just in case nothing else fits.

Of course the sensation of gaining 10 kilo makes you want to buy clothes. Just in case. You can't be fatter *and* naked! Conveniently, there was a sale at the very cute (or cool, depending on your mood) t-shirt shop along our return route. And they had a turtle t-shirt that I /love/. And a Yiddish t-shirt that I /love/. And a tree shirt for my brother that I ♥ . And...

Then there was a stain on the turtle shirt, which was my first love, that my friend noticed.
Alas, it was the last.
And no, they don't do reprints.

Discount? "/You/ ask for a discount?" "Well if I don't ask, you can't say yes."
It required a phone call. I didn't get the 25 I requested, but I got 10. And hey, 10 shekels is better than a kick in the pants. And the guy was a cutie. And he gave me a free coffee for my "cahones".

7. Homeward bound.

We walked down the street, the bus came. We got to the station, walked to our platform and there was our transfer. It's beautiful when public transportation just happens to run on your schedule.


Oh! And I got all the dishes done and the house tidied *before* we left! So I accomplished practical things too! It was nice walking in and not having to think.

I didn't even mention all of Yana's great animal stories. Which complimented food intoxication oh. so. well!

I am satiated /and/ blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment