Thursday, August 27, 2009

Postscript: Thank You

Lately, I've been receiving a lot of compliments. Many unexpected, or in areas I had already decided I am deficient in.

During my teens I had a difficult time accepting compliments, that I didn't have as a child. Ah, the hubris of childhood, when we truly believe that we deserve the nice things people say to us. What I've realized is that some old habits of deflecting praise have cropped up again, and that is no good at all.

When I give someone a compliment, the most satisfying thing is for them to acknowledge it and say thank you. After all, a compliment is simply voicing a personal opinion, and what is nicer than to have your opinion accepted as fact?

So, I want to thank the people who enjoy hearing me sing, reading what I write, think I'm a fast worker, or have complimented me in some other way and were met with some sort of deflective answer instead of the gratitude I felt. The positive things you say make my day for weeks after the fact.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment