But health care--in its broad, endless sense--is still important to me. Mostly because my glasses are broken, and I have needed vision correction since 2 years old. In 2009, California discontinued optometry as a medical field included in MediCal, the state provided health coverage. This became important to me, because in 2009 I became unemployed.
It is a severe annoyance that women's health is synonymous with "reproductive health"--which is really a less provocative term then "reproductive control", though the latter is more accurate. Do women not break bones? Do women not have allergies, or need eye care? Do men not contract life threatening STDs? Why is "women's health" limited to birth control options, abortions, STD testing and cancer exams for reproductive organs? This trend establishes the assumption that women are a bunch of reckless sex maniacs and nothing else. And what happened to that study linking birth control pills to reproductive organ cancer? Why is there no public anger over this? Why are we accepting this? It is ridiculous, infuriating, and demeaning. And it is fronted and supported by those most vocal for "women's rights".
Right now, I can't afford a new pair of glasses and an eye exam. All my state is offering me is condoms, abortions, birth-control pills, and the opportunity to have my breast tissue mauled.
Perhaps they don't know that abstinence is 100% effective, or maybe they think that sex is my job.
If I can't get new glasses, my employment options are obviously decreased.