Eventually there had to be some word mix-ups living and working in a country where your first language is not first.
Today, my boss was explaining that we didn't need to change the soap with the Bibles. And while I was wondering where the Bibles were, it suddenly dawned on me that she meant bubbles (the instant foam soap). We shared a good laugh, though she felt the need to say her English wasn't so good.
Well, I got to tell her that my Hebrew isn't so good.
There were some guests who made a request for clean towels and their room was on my list, so I tried to tell them "yes, I'll bring them, but not now", meaning later. This conversation took place entirely in Hebrew and I said "לא אחות". They gave me the funniest look and I realized I must have said the wrong word, but I couldn't think of the right one. This led to pantomime with my watch. Ah, "לא עכשיו" they were kind enough to help me out with my garbled vocabulary.
This has been the source of residual laughter for days, and I'm pretty sure more circumstances will arise to continue the fun. Well, hopefully, it'll stay fun!
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment